Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hide and Seek

So, I was sitting at my desk one day... typing away, working on a digital scrapbooking project and not paying nearly enough attention to my sweet little pup. He had gotten tired of laying on my lap and being ignored so he hopped down to see what kind of trouble he could get into.

Since I had put up the retractable gate and trapped him in the room with me (I'd learned from experience), he was a bit limited in his choices of mischief. That was the day he figured out how to play hide and seek.

Yeah, he really did. I was sitting at the computer minding my own business when this little face popped up next to me from behind the couch. I didn't even know the stinker could fit back there. The minute I looked at him and laughed he stuck his head back behind the couch and whined a little. So I did the only logical thing.

I, a grown and somewhat sane woman, said to my dog: "Where did you go, buddy? I can't find you."

(Yes, you can all judge me now for treating him like a child, but seriously... what would you have done?)

As soon as I said it Riley popped his head back out, and I knew he was happily wagging his tail because I could hear the rhythm of it going between hitting the back of the couch and the wall. I looked at him and laughed and we started it all over again. Many times.

If anyone wonders how I keep my sanity being in this house 24/7, just take a look at that photo again. Anytime I'm at this blog too long or scrapbooking on the computer - basically anything that leaves that poor pooch neglected, he whines and pops his head out from behind the couch.

And it gets me every time. I'm such a pushover, but I defy any of you to try to resist his charms. I'd bet money (if I had any) that it can't be done. And I only bet on a sure thing.  :)

7 comments:

  1. He´s so cute! I love how he poses. I´m the same way with my cat. Talk to her all the time and kind of treat her like a kid... she just brightens up my day. Only animal lovers understand it but that´s ok ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pup starts at one end of the room and does what we call the "military crawl" like he's going thorugh the trenches on his tummy. He seems to be grinning the whole time and it never fails to make us laugh. My husband was talking last night about how much laughter he has brought into our lives.

    We've had other dogs and loved them, but Beau is very special and very different. Maybe adopting him and giving him a second chance at a good life made him different...or maybe it's made us different. I don't know...but I am very grateful he came into our lives when he did a little over 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! My dog is my bff so I do not think you are going crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable! I don't know if I've commented on your blog before. I have stopped by a few times. I linked here from Pete Wilson's blog because I got a kick out of one of your comments. I really don't remember which one it was now. So, do you write professionally?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so much less crazy when I realize all of you are animal lovers too :)

    @anita: I used to work at a trade magazine where I was writing professionally (and also did some freelance writing) but didn't get very far before my disease took over and I ended up on disability. It was definitely my goal to be a writer, so this blog has been a fun way to satisfy that part of me. I feel pretty fortunate that I at least got to work at a magazine before life took a different turn. Glad you found the site... hope you enjoy! :)

    gitz

    ReplyDelete