Thursday, August 5, 2010

YOU:create ... Week 4

Boy, did I have fun with this week’s project.

This week, I facilitated the creativity of little people. :)

When the Hayward’s came to visit [my friend Susie aptly named them the Shan Clan] I honestly spent most of my time with them in bed. My stomach has been less than cooperative with me, but late Friday I got some new anti-nausea meds that allowed me to be up and around a bit more on Saturday.

Their last day here.

Needless to say, I tried to cram a lot of fun into that one afternoon. And since the Shan Clan is a homeschooling bunch, I took it upon myself to contribute [as every good family member should] and declared myself the art teacher.

God knows I wasn’t going to be teaching them math.

Anyway, I had some eager little helpers as I pulled out paints and brushes and canvases, and declared that we were going to paint artwork for their school room back home.

IMG_1787

I mean, people. Have you ever seen such cuteness in your life?

IMG_1324

Little Yodi went straight to work with colors and squares and dots. At one point I commented that it was a lovely door, and she explained it was a light. And I thought it was a lovely light, until she changed her mind and decided it was an excellent door.

IMG_1798

Rule number one in art class: Be flexible in the creative process.

IMG_1845

IMG_1321

My Nie Nie made a gorgeous canvas with the word that she wrote repeatedly in her art all week long.

JOY.

A girl after my own heart, she is. And she was such a joy to have around I thought it was fitting of her sweet self.

IMG_1319

They each made two canvases to take back home, and then my artful, thoughtful Nie Nie set to work on another.

IMG_1848

IMG_1853

IMG_1849

This one she left for me.

IMG_1501

We took it around the house to decide where it should hang, and discovered that the colors worked perfectly with the canvas I made a few weeks ago...

IMG_1506

And with words like “You Rock” and “I Love You”, “You are Awesome” and “You are a Joy” written all around the edges, I figured it was perfect to have reflected in the mirror for my self affirmations every morning. :)

IMG_1504

Now, because I know I promised to make something myself each week, I did put together this little frame of photos to remember their trip. It’s probably the least creative thing I’ve ever made, but it’s full of love and happy memories.

IMG_1494

And should you ever doubt my sincerity about how meaningful this visit was to me, just take note that I chose to display photos. Of myself. Swollen from steroids. If I love memories more than I hate my neck, you know it’s pretty darn phenomenal! :)

divider 2

I can’t wait to see what you guys came up with! Just click below and follow the instructions to link to your project. When it asks you to choose the web or a file for your thumbnail, choose web. Then it will take you to a list of the images on the page you are linking to and you’ll be able to choose a photo to represent your project.

blog comments powered by Disqus