Monday, February 14, 2011

My Valentine

I kept trying to think of a cute and funny post for Valentine's Day, but to be honest it's a bit sentimental for me this year. And it's not because I'm permanently single. I've never felt the "sting of rejection" by the holiday or by being single at all, really. There were years I had a boyfriend on the day and many years when I didn't.

It never mattered.

Because every year I got a call from Dad while he was in his truck or at the farm or just home for lunch to ask me if I'd be his valentine.

sara dad

It was never a bad day because I always had my first. My consistent love who never forgot to make sure I knew I was special.

And that's what I guess I really want to say today… that I was the luckiest little [and big] girl, because I had a love in my life. I had a dad who I always knew valued me. I had a man in my life who showed me what it meant to be loved and adored and cherished.

I never had to look for someone to complete me, because that man showed me I was complete in and of myself. He encouraged me, he believed in me, he prayed for me, he laughed with me and cried with me and showed me that I was worthy of being loved like that.

I got to be his baby doll and his Valentine for all those years.

For dads reading this, love your daughters. Shower them with hugs and kisses and "I believe in you" moments. It will be the greatest gift you can give them and a surefire way for them to grow up to be whole. They won't have to look for a false love to fill them up when they know what real love looks like.

A big part of why I am ok with how my life turned out is because he loved me in a way that showed me I was never alone. It was the best gift a Valentine could ask for.

blog comments powered by Disqus