Monday, May 16, 2011

5 minutes: deep breath

As promised, here is my 5 minute Friday on a Monday!

::

Today I'm linking up to Lisa-Jo aka gypsy mama, who chooses a topic every Friday and writes for five minutes.

Only five minutes.

And the rule is that whatever she writes about in that five minutes is what she posts. No editing her thoughts.

Today, her topic choice is "Deep Breath…"

So I'm going to set the timer, write some thoughts, and then I'm going to stop.

Ready? Set. Go.

::

Deep Breath immediately brings my mind to every Tuesday when my nurse, Tabitha, comes to see me. We talk and catch up and she takes out her stethoscope to listen to my lungs.

"Deep breath…" she utters, and I do my best to oblige.

"Diminished and wheezy…" are her next words and we both nod. All is fine, as that is my normal now that I am fused. My ribs can't expand and my chest never heaves, so diminished and wheezy is my status quo.

The bad days are when no breath sounds can be heard. That's when antibiotics usually come into play. :)

So, physically, deep breath has changed for me. My status quo isn't the same as yours.

But when I think of the calling of my spirit, I breathe much better. When I sit here at the computer to write and be with all of you, my spirit breathes deep and it is full and clear and robust.

I can check on the status of my spirit and I feel satisfied, as if I am doing what I am called to do.

How about you? Have you checked the status of your spirit lately? Can you breathe deep, or are you diminished and wheezy? Are you feeling stuck in a tight space, or are you free in the knowledge you are doing what you are called to do?

If you find yourself gasping, wheezing, less than full – can I make a suggestion?

Make a change somewhere in your life. I can't change my physical deep breath, but we all have the chance to change the fullness of our spirit.

It can be large or small. Change a job or simply add a hobby that brings joy to your existence. But start. Because we all have this one life to live, and we might as well breathe deep while we live it.

blog comments powered by Disqus