Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Choose Surrender Day 26: Reckless Faith


"I love the recklessness of Faith. First you leap and then you grow wings."

As I was reflecting on the above canvas that Sara created and this quote from Sloane Coffin. The word that popped out at me was recklessness. I looked up the definition of recklessness and it says being "utterly unconcerned about the consequences of some action; without caution; careless."

Loving recklessness or unconcern for consequences is probably not the first thing I would jump up and say…yep that's me! I tend to be someone who likes to make sure I am following rules and that I have everything planned out. I am always thinking about the consequences of decisions that I have in front of me to make sure that I am doing the right thing for the right reason.

But when I think about recklessness in terms of faith, it really makes sense. Look how many times in the bible Jesus asked others to leave everything behind and follow Him. The disciples didn't plan out what following Jesus would look like for them. They didn't tell Him…wait…let me think this through! They took a leap of faith, trusted Him and grew wings along the journey.

Taking a leap of faith requires us to be brave, to trust Him with all of our hearts and to surrender our lives, knowing that He will help us grow and flourish as His faithful servants.

Mark 1:16-20 says, "As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him. When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets.  Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.

At once they left…Without delay…they followed Him.

My prayer is that I can surrender my life to Him so that I can live a reckless kind of faith. That I can take the leap He is asking me to take and trust that He will provide me the wings I need to fly…to soar in this life for Him until I am home with Him.
blog comments powered by Disqus