Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Day 11 Choose Surrender: By Grace Alone


How do we surrender to God?

We want and desire to surrender to Him, but in our humanness and sinfulness we are controlled by doubt and impulses of worry and fear.

In Sara’s book, Choose Joy: Finding Hope and Purpose WhenLife Hurts, she talks about God’s gift of free will and our ability to choose. I think that God looks at our “will”… our want…our desire…to do what honors Him and then He works in us to do what is pleasing to Him, according to His purpose. When I think about my will or desires, they come from my heart. They come from the love I have for God. Therefore, our job is to surrender our “will,” our heart, to Him.

Matthew 11:28-30 says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

God invites us to experience joy and blessing in life through Him. It is through grace alone we are forgiven of the sinfulness of doubt, worry and fear that keep us from fully surrendering to Him. It is through grace alone that we are able to take up our cross and follow Him…to be His disciples.

As Christians we must surrender our will to His will. It is through Him we will love what He loves and hate what He hates. (Psalm 97:10)

Graced by God's presence we learn that while we are less than perfect, who we are by God's grace, can be enough. By God's grace, each day can be lived with hope and purpose...and with His grace, we can choose joy.


blog comments powered by Disqus